Thursday 15 November 2012

November Book Favourites- Divergent & Insurgent!


Today's post is about a teen book series written by Veronica Roth. I have recently read both of the books in the series and couldn't wait to tell all of you guys about it. I'm in love. Seriously. I'm a massive harry potter fan and a hunger games junkie ( #TeamPeeta ), so I'm always on the hunt for some books along that genre. I would say it's very different from those two series, but if you liked those, you'll love these. I first heard about the divergent series from you-tuber Elle Fowler (Book channel linked here) and I added them to my book list, (does anyone else do that or is it just me? #geek ) but hadn't gotten round to reading them until my best friend forced me to because she wanted someone to fangirl over them with.  


I'll add a bit of Divergent's blurb here to entice you....

"Sixteen year old Tris is forced to make a terrible choice. In a divided society where everyone must conform, Tris does not fit. So she ventures out alone determined to discover where she truly belongs. Shocked by her brutal new life, Tris can trust no-one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her... "

Basically it's a love/danger/dystopian world fest that follows the main character, Tris on her journey between 'factions.' There are 5 factions in the books society- Erudite (Intelligence), Amity (Peacefulness), Dauntless (Courage and bravery), Candor (Honesty) and Abnegation (Selflessness). The factions, in general, don't tend to mix and have very different views. 
You're born into a faction and then when you come of age, you are put under an aptitude test to see which trait you are suited to most. You can then either chose to switch factions or stay in the original faction you were put in.

Warning... contains mild spoilers from here on ;) 

 Divergent, the first book in the series follows Tris' journey as she switches from abnegation to dauntless, after being found out to be 'divergent' which means she has an aptitude for more than one faction, making her a danger to society. Leaving her family behind and undergoing dauntless initiation, Tris faces many battles along her way. Divergent was very brutal, lots of fighting going on, lots of emotions but full of hope and romance. 

Insurgent, unlike many other sequels, is just as good as divergent. If not better. I enjoyed insurgent a little bit more I think, just because the plot twists and turns were even more dramatic than in Divergent. The books constantly surprised me, having more plot twists and deaths than an Eastenders christmas episode.  

It's in Divergent that Tris begins to fall in love with a fellow dauntless member, Tobias. Don't even get me started on Tobias. He is definitely on my list of fictional crushes. 

I hope you read these books and enjoy them as much as I did- beware, I felt life had no meaning after the end of insurgent. I never saw that ending coming. I was gobsmacked (you'll understand when you finish the books haha!) I can't wait for the third book to be released. 

  I enjoyed these books so much and would 100% recommend you read them. 
Thats it for now, hope you enjoyed my first monthly book favourites post, I'll hopefully see you in December. 


Ps. It's Christmas soon, any recommendations as to any festive/holiday books I can read?
PPS. Which faction would you be in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment